After complaining about being ripped off by GoDaddy, some fool replied that I must have had some add-ons. After replying that I didn't, I was given the option of liking the response. My original purchase price last year was around $10 for my domain. The first auto renewal went up from $22 to $26 to $32 in a couple of months prior to it's due date. To prove conclusively that I am not an idiot, I give you a firm undertaking that I will be doing absolutely no business such as website building or hosting; ever with Go Daddy.
1) I am the person that replied originally and? I am a GoDaddy customer just like you
2) I'm sorry if I didn't acknowledge how you were feeling regarding the issue
That being said - I've had domains with GoDaddy for almost 10 + years and worked with many clients who have used GoDaddy - I've never seen renewals increase the way you are stating - without seeing the actual emails / shopping cart (not asking that you post that at this point) - it's very hard to say
Here are the possible explanations
1) If you are just going by this is the price that was in the email - there have been numerous threads here about GoDaddy email notifications having a wrong date or wrong price .?
2) If you are renewing multiple domains at the same time GoDaddy does offer a discount so it's possible that at one point you had multiple domains and by the end you only had the one
3) It's possible that the renewal was for multiple years and that is why you were seeing different prices
4) As originally suggested - perhaps there was something like domain privacy or something else either in your cart or being suggested in the email.
As previously mentioned I have many years of using GoDaddy and never seen / heard of prices increasing like this - the only other thing I could have / would have suggested is to call GoDaddy sales and ask for an explanation - as those on the board here are just end users like you we would not be able to give you any other information
Once your issue is resolved,
please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution
I am also not a GoDaddy employee and it would be a guessing game without more information.? But the $10 domain does sound like a sale price that would renew at the regular rate, and any add-ons or additional years would also bump up the price.
To be fair I also notice some irregularities in GoDaddy services in recent times. I've been with GoDaddy for nearly a decade but some of the new methods they're adopting doesn't follow with the high reputation I once had for GoDaddy. One of these irregularities is the issue with domain prices, I notice the cost also increasing unusually (not on a monthly basis) and I feel someone among their board is damaging the reputation of this company for selfish and unreasonable gains.