<input id="s62ga"></input>
  • <code id="s62ga"><label id="s62ga"></label></code>
  • <object id="s62ga"></object>
    We no longer support Internet Explorer v10 and older, or you have compatibility view enabled. Disable Compatibility view, upgrade to a newer version, or use a different browser.
  • GoDaddy Community
  • VPS & Dedicated Servers
  • VPS & Dedicated Servers

cancel
    Showing results for?
    Show??only? | Search instead for?
    Did you mean:?
    Go to solution
    Helper II

VPS Reverse DNS Lookups

Hello,

I have a VPS with GoDaddy and I'm running CentOS 6. ? I need some PTR records setup but my DNS server isn't an authoritative one. ? Only GoDaddy can do this for me.

Right now, they're pointing to:
    192.168.2.2 points to ip-192-168-2-2.ip.secureserver.net

192.168.2.3 points to ip-192.168-2-3.ip.secureserver.net

The IP addresses are made up and I put them in there to simplify things. ? I've tried contacting GoDaddy via chat but they couldn't do it. ? I don't really want to call. ? Who would I contact to get these setup?

Also, in general, what do people point their server's IP addresses to when setting up PTR records? ? Nameservers?or would it be best to point them to my webmail.example.com subdomain?or should they point to the hostname?

Just so there's no confusion, when I say PTR records, I'm referring to reverse DNS lookups.

As far as I can tell, GoDaddy doesn't provide any easy way for the customer to set these up and it's something that GoDaddy has to set up themselves, because my nameservers are not authoritative name servers.

Thanks.

13 REPLIES 13
    Helper II

Re: PTR records.

I wanted to add that GoDaddy's actual help files tell me to contact GoDaddy to have these setup...here's one such page:

http://www.48413931.com/help/what-is-reverse-dns-2585

I
    ?really want these set up because I run my own mail server. ? But I'm also working on a program that will use them. ? If I need to pay a one time fee or something to get this setup, I am okay with that. ? Thanks!

Solution

Re: VPS Reverse DNS Lookups

Hey?@SporkSchivago,?

Our admins setup a Reverse DNS on our own mail servers. However, this is not something we allow within our own hosting network. The representatives you spoke with over chat would have been correct in that we can't assist with this sort of setup even on our VPS plans.?

?

Sorry for the confusion that may have been caused from the information provided in our Reverse DNS article. I'll see if that information can be revised to better fit it's usage in our Server plans.?

?

CG - GoDaddy | Community Moderator
    24/7 support available at x.co/247support
    Helper II

@CG wrote:

Hey?@SporkSchivago,?

Our admins setup a Reverse DNS on our own mail servers. However, this is not something we allow within our own hosting network. The representatives you spoke with over chat would have been correct in that we can't assist with this sort of setup even on our VPS plans.?

?

Sorry for the confusion that may have been caused from the information provided in our Reverse DNS article. I'll see if that information can be revised to better fit it's usage in our Server plans.?

?

Thanks CG! ? There was some definite confusion. ? The on-line chat didn't say it couldn't be done, just that I was contacting the wrong department. ?You're more than welcome to read through the chat to see what they said. ? This lead me to believe that it was in fact possible.

Do you mind me asking as to why this isn't allowed? ? Is it to prevent mail abuse? ? I remember reading something about a mail relay somewheres along the way and something about how we're not allowed to try and bypass that. ? I figured that was to make sure no one could mass mail millions of people. ? Am I right?

Just so we're clear, there's no way at all to change the PTR records from what they're currently set to, no matter what type of server I rent from GoDaddy? ? Even with a dedicated server, GoDaddy still wouldn't change them?

Thanks.

Hi @SporkSchivago, Did GoDaddy ever reply to you on your last reply? So it's really prohibited to configure rDNS on their VPS??

Helper II

Everytime I try posting my reply, I receive a message saying

Access Denied

You don't have permission to access "http://www.48413931.com/community/forums/replypage.editorform.form.form.form" on this server.
    Reference #18.6694dc17.1478289316.d48194

Does anyone have any idea why?

Helper II

Yes, GoDaddy did reply and it's prohibited. Because it's a VPS and I'm not running an authoritative name server, they're the ones who have to set it up and they will not. I believe it has something to do with their anti-spam mail filter. If I understand it correctly, their anti-spam mail filter is setup in such away where it tries to prevent people from using their GoDaddy's VPS's to send mass mailings of spam.

I'm still in the process of learning everything, but I don't think I can setup an authoritative name server on a VPS. I want to say I remember GoDaddy saying if I need rDNS, then I need to rent a physical server, not a VPS. It sucks though and I might have to start looking for a new hosting provider. Some of my e-mails sent from my server are getting flagged as spam because the reverse DNS record points to another domain name. I really like the GoDaddy technical support and I feel their VPSes are worth the money. There's just a few issues that are hard to overlook.

Helper II

One is not being able to have rDNS setup properly. This is a fairly big one. But the biggest reason I'm probably going to have to switch is because I cannot get some iptable modules enabled. GoDaddy would have to change their configuration a bit for Virtuozzo and that's something they're unwilling to do. That's understandable, but without those modules, it makes my life a lot harder and my server a bit more cumbersome to operate, to the point where when I get a customer database, they might be prevented from accessing my page permanently without any means of notifying me. And to me, that's unacceptable.

I've paid ahead of time but once I have to renew, I think I'm going to have to find another hosting company that has the iptable modules enabled and is willing to setup rDNS. I hope my information helped you.

?

Thank you.

Helper II

Oh, and of course, there's no kernel level symlink protection. ? GoDaddy provides cPanel (for a small monthly fee), which is wonderful, and cPanel provides EasyApache 4 now. ? EasyApache 3 provided a software symlink protection patch for Apache but EasyApache 4 does not. ? cPanel recommends that people look into the GRSecurity kernel patch, however, because we're in an Virtuozzo environment, we cannot patch the kernel. ? If GoDaddy refuses to enable a couple iptable modules, I'm certain they'd refuse to patch the kernel to provide symlink protection.

Not being patched for the symlink attack is horrible and can easily be abused. ? I believe there's some software side alternatives, but none of them are very pretty and not extremely effective. ? I believe the most effective solution is to patch the kernel.

Thanks.

Hi @SporkSchivago,

?

I know I'm bumping an old thread but I wanted to chime in on this post.

?

Firstly, I've seen a lot of your cPanel threads and posts over at the cPanel support forums and I've been tackling a lot of the same issues that you've already gone through. Wasn't surprised at all that I'd find myself yet again tackling another issue that you've experienced.. seems we want the same things and we're not getting it here through GoDaddy, which is unfortunate! The same pros you mentioned are why I'm still a customer, but the cons you mention are also the reasons I might look elsewhere also. Seems we're in the same boat with the VPS woes of GoDaddy.

?

1. I really dislike that symlink race condition isn't patched at the kernel level for the GoDaddy VPSs. I've tried to see if there was some plan for that but phone support didn't seem to have a clue and the server people didn't give much hope.

2. rDNS points to my original hostname they set up and I need it changed to my actual hostname that I set in the GoDaddy panel (i believe) but they don't seem prepared to help me.

3. DirtyCow still doesn't seem to be patched since about Oct/Nov 2016 and that kind've grinds my gears because nobody, not this forum, not online chat, nor the server guys can tell me when it'll happen, just that its intended in an upcoming patch cycle (which might as well mean they'll "get to it one of these days")

?

Did GoDaddy support end up resolving the rDNS thing for you? If they did, I'd like to try again myself!

Helper II

@RareHost, Sorry for the late reply, I don't come here often anymore. ? No, I don't think GoDaddy can ever fix the rDNS "issue". ? I believe this is because they use some sort of relay to help prevent spam. ? Your Exim configuration has the relay information that GoDaddy forces you to use to prevent the spam abuse. ? I had originally backed up my Exim configuration when I moved to another hosting provider (I kept my domain names registered with GoDaddy) and when I imported it in my new setup, mail broke.

I don't know GoDaddy VPS renters are not allowed to compile their own kernel. ? There are some other options (that aren't necessarily the best) for symlink protection. ? cPanel supports a software type protection. ? You can enable it under the Apache Global Configuration. ? You can also enable:

?

EXPERIMENTAL: Jail Apache Virtual Hosts using mod_ruid2 and cPanel? jailshell?

?

in WHM >> Tweak Settings. ? You need to make sure you have mod_ruid2 enabled in EasyApache 4 though.

The section option (Experimental Apache Jails) is more secure than the first.

A few other options, but I believe they would all either require you switching to a dedicated server on GoDaddy (to install your own custom kernel) or switching to another hosting provider for your VPS....
    Pay money and purchase CloudLinux. ? You can purchase a license through cPanel I believe. ? This is a "hardened" OS. ? I believe it's based off CentOS or RedHat. ? I'm not certain which one. ? But it has symlink protection (along with many other features).

Pay money and?purchase something like GRSecurity, which used to be free, and provides a bunch of security patches to the Linux kernels to harden them. ? My VPS is currently running kernel version?4.9.36-x86_64. ? On GRSecurity's website, even though I'm not a paying company, under Downloads, the only option I see for my kernel is a beta version of the patches, so this might not be the best option. ? I tried contacting the company to see how much they charge for the patches, but I never got a response (go figure).

From what I've read, the best option is switching over to CloudLinux, but that can get a bit pricey.

I hope this helps.

New

Hey thanks so much everyone for all the education I got reading the above posts. If anyone finds a better solution for VPS it would be great to learn of it. Godaddy is so progressive in so many ways I wish there was more going on with VPS. I love having the control and learning about using it (though there is almost no information on it).

I use google mx servers on all my sites, does the issue with rDNS still affect my emails too??

Helper I

Can you please explain why GoDaddy doesn't support this industry standard best practice???Having VPS Dedicated IPs reverse DNS entry map to?a DNS name containing the IP address causes the IP address to be flagged as a Dynamic IP address by SORBS DOHL,?which is why all GoDaddy VPS Dedicated IP address are blacklisted in SORBS DUHL?(Dynamic User Host List), causing emails sent from a VPS Dedicated IP to be blocked or flagged as spam.? Also, not having the reverse DNS listing match the domain the email is being sent from increases the likelihood email originating from?the VPS Dedicated IP will be flagged as spam.? This is very, very bad.? Seems like you guys threw out the baby with the bathwater on this issue.? There are ways to validate the owner of a domain is also the owner of the IP to prevent abuse from spammers.? The current approach causes all GoDaddy VPS Dedicated IPs to be treated as spam for two reasons:

1. Since all reverse lookup to secureserver.net, not the actual domain hosted on the VPS, which causes a mismatch
    2. Since the reverse DNS domain name?contains the?IP address being looked up which?is among the criteria SORBS DUHL uses to classify an IP as a dynamic IP, thus blacklisted for sending emails
    New

I have spent hours and hours trying to resolve flaky email delivery issues on a new Godaddy VPS. One item I found not mentioned explicitly here, but part of the issue is that the Godaddy mail relays get blacklisted. It is a dynamic issue, that comes and goes, and as such mail sometimes doesn't get delivered. Almost every mail we send, we wonder if will be received. While most all do, it could be an invoice to a customer, or a time sensitive communication, that now requires a phone call or text to follow up when we don't get a reply from email. Whats the point of email that might get delivered?

So once I accepted that the mail relay occasionally gets poisoned, I tried to tackle the reverse DNS issue. This post confirms my final conclusion.

Godaddy will not allow us to configure our VPS for reliable mail delivery.

1. We have no control over the mail relay IP which occasionally gets blacklisted
    2. We can't configure a PTR and as a result ALWAYS have a reverse DNS mismatch.

We just paid for 3 years of VPS. When we communicate with Godaddy support, they can do nothing but try and sell us more stuff we don't need (like our server is about to expire when there is 3 years pre-paid), and tell us that their mail relays do not get blacklisted (when they do), and that we can't configure any of the critical items required for reliable email delivery (PTR record). This is not the fault of the help staff, they are just doing what they are told.

There is a lot of money at stake here and we feel really ripped off.

Buyer beware, I really screwed up by migrating my VPS and paying for 3 years of unreliable junk. Which, by the way, could be totally reliable if they would change their policies.?

白小姐一生肖中特
    四肖期期准一免费 福建22选5开奖走势图 重庆时时彩开奖查询 IM体育漏洞 广东快乐10分钟走势图下载安装 江苏省体育彩票走势图 100送100真人百家乐4倍流水 香港六合彩白小姐免费透码 中国福彩网官方首页 nba文字虎扑直播 湖南快乐十分前三查询 全天幸运飞艇人工在线 上海时时彩开奖结杲2元 七乐彩走势图浙江风采 360足球直播比分直播网